Local Planning & Zoning
Industrial zones are areas of a city that are designated for industrial uses and heavy commercial activities. As part of Norwalk’s recently completed 10-year Citywide Plan for 2019-2029, the City is undertaking a reassessment of its industrial zones. The study will take a closer look at these zones as key resources for allowing further economic diversification and creating job growth.
• The industrial zone study will answer several key questions and provide clear guidance on the following issues, among others:
• Are the areas currently zoned “industrial” appropriate for “industrial” uses? Should some be rezoned for other uses more appropriate for the neighborhood?
• What factors might deter future “industrial” growth in Norwalk?
• How do we take advantage of Norwalk’s harbor to increase commercial activity, while ensuring this City asset is something that can be utilized and enjoyed by all Norwalk residents?
• What are the infrastructure (roadways, sanitation, energy, etc.) constraints or limitations that may be preventing the desired commercial expansion?
• How do we foster craft industry growth in the City and ensure that thriving business expand and remain in Norwalk?
• What are other communities in the Northeast similar to Norwalk doing to attract commercial and manufacturing companies as well as new tech and green manufacturing companies?